Day One: I was excited for this expedition because we were going to build a log bridge over Gentry Creek. I eagerly got off the bus and started hiking. I was feeling good, and even my backpack didn’t feel too heavy. We hadn’t hiked long before Mr. Mike called an early break. As it turned out, the U.S. Forest Service had taken down all the bridges former FMA classes had built across the creek. I was angry, but I helped Mr. Mike hide the tools we had carried to build the new bridge. Then I got my pack back on and we started hiking again. After I got to camp, I unpacked the tent and set it up, and I climbed into my sleeping bag and went to sleep.

Day Two: I woke up ready for a new and better day. It was cold that morning, and after eating oatmeal for breakfast, I went out to gather wood for the fire. After classes in the morning, I returned to camp for lunch and to check on the fire. I read for a while from the book we had been assigned, Farewell to Manzanar, and then headed back for evening class at 6:00 p.m. That’s when I found out that my tent partners had gotten into trouble, and we had to move our camp next to Mr. Kevin and Mr. Mike’s camp. Not a great start to this expedition so far.

Day Three: Woke up to another cold morning. I packed up my stuff and was ready to go on time. Hiking back and forth across the creek, where the bridges used to be, my feet got soaked and very cold. We have been taught to always check the person hiking behind us whenever we cross slippery or dangerous areas, so I checked behind me often to make sure Mr. Kevin hadn’t fallen into the creek. I got into camp with cold wet feet, set up the tent, and put on dry socks. Then I went to evening class with dry cold feet. I finally got warm again when I climbed into my sleeping bag.

Day Four: I woke up to a morning that just had a great feeling about it. I got my tent partners to hurry, as we got ready for departure, so we could be at the rally point before the instructors. After we got there, Mr. Mike sent me down the trail to the other rally point to let them know there was a delay, but I was still ready when it was time for departure. After we had hiked for a while, we came to this really steep climb. I would climb up to a ledge, then turn around and help Mr. Kevin up, then climb some more and then do the same thing. I would warn him about slippery rocks and other obstacles and slowly, but surely we all made it. It felt great to get into camp, and even better because our camp spot was the best yet. We set up camp, ate lunch, and then headed to class where I learned about hypothermia, and how to recognize it before it is too late to help myself. The air was warm that day, and I was glad to climb into my sleeping bag that night.

Day Five: I woke up to a great morning, made the fire, and made the best oatmeal yet. After morning class, I finished my book and then just chilled around the camp. Later, I ate a big meal of lentils and rice, but it wasn’t very good. All around it was a great day, everything went smoothly and nothing went wrong. That night I climbed into the tent ready for the next day.

Day Six: Last day out. I woke up to a beautiful morning, and packed up and was ready to move out. We had a short class, before hiking out. The hills were killer. The hardest time I had was keeping up. After what seemed like forever, I was glad when we finally got off the trail. My feet started getting tired right as we got to the bus. I was so happy to see that big yellow bus.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please type the text above: