Day One: I woke up at my usual time of 5:30 a.m. We ate a great breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, cinnamon rolls and yogurt. Earlier I had been told I would have the first camp because I had injured my foot. It had healed up enough so that I could hike without much pain, so I ended up in camp #5 at Gentry Creek. I spent the first day building my shelter and gathering wood. I gathered enough wood to last me the whole expedition. At 3:30 p.m. I met up with Joseph for our check in. We talked for a little bit. I didn’t eat much but some young ferns and violets.

Day Two: Last night I woke up constantly in an attempt to keep my fire going, but around 8:00 a.m. when I woke up my fire was completely gone. At 9:30 a.m. I met up with Joe, but I was almost late because I had drifted back to sleep. I set out my fishing line in hopes of catching a fish or two. Near the middle of the day it began to sprinkle and my shelter didn’t leak at all. At 3:30 p.m. Joseph and I met up again. He had only caught one fish. I was beginning to feel weak, so I gathered some stinging nettles, got my fire nice and hot, and boiled some plain flavorless nettles. All I wanted then was some salt. I checked my line before I lay down to sleep, but I hadn’t caught any fish. 

Day Three: I managed to keep my fire going all night, but came close to having it go out. I changed my socks this morning and sat around the fire with one sock off for about an hour. Around 9:00 a.m., I checked my fishing line and found that something had stolen the bait. At 9:30 a.m. when I met up with Joseph, I learned he hadn’t caught any fish either. I finished working on The Fountainhead today, and also finished reading The Bourne Identity. The day has been dragging by and I’m having a hard time believing that we’ll be back at the school by tomorrow evening. With this realization, I took some time to look around at nature and to listen to the babbling creek and watch the green leaves dance in the wind to the song of the creek. The moss and ferns stood stark still in contrast to the music and dancing going on around them. I can’t wait for nightfall so I can go to sleep.

Day Four: I didn’t have a fire this morning because I decided to let it go out last night. I took my time tearing down my shelter. My fire pit was nice and cold so I spread the ashes and carefully covered the pit. I wrapped one of the rocks from my fire pit and packed it in my day pack. By 8:30 a.m. my camp was no longer a camp, only an open spot on a rocky hillside. By 11:00 a.m. I had read a good portion of my third book, The Bourne Supremacy. At 11:15 a.m. the guys from upstream came by, and I joined the line heading home. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please type the text above: